These are the steps to move your website to a new web host:
- Backup your website files from your current web host to your computer.
Create a new hosting account at your new web host.
- Upload your files from your computer to your new web server.
- If necessary go to the service where you registered your domain name (Registrar) and point the name servers to your new host. The support team of your new web host, should do this for you at no cost, if you ask them. Your website should be up and running in a few minutes.
- Test your site at its new home. Set up extra features you may need and let it run for a couple of days.
- If everything runs smoothly, cancel your old web hosting account a couple of days later.
By doing things this way, there will be no downtime for your website or blog. One moment the DNS server will point to the old web server and the next moment it will be pointing to the new one.